Date:      19 Jan 1998 06:22:06 +0100
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
To:        morgan@Hamlet.RES.CMU.EDU
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Step by step CD installation...

Morgan Welk <morgan@Hamlet.RES.CMU.EDU> writes:
> I plan to install FreeBSD 2.5.5.

Keep planning ;)

Seriously, ITYM FreeBSD 2.2.5. And it's not really difficult. The only
hard bit for you is to create boot floppies, since you say you don't
have any OS on the PC. So find a friend who does... or who can lend
you a DOS boot floppy.

And get a CD-ROM drive (or a real computer if your PC is to old to
support one). Sheesh, we're three years short of the third millenium
and you don't have a CD-ROM drive?

Seriously (I seem to say that a lot, don't I?), you have three
choices: a floppy install (you really, really don't want to do that),
a CD-ROM install (if you can get a CD-ROM drive for your PC) or an ftp
install, either by modem through your ISP (slow and costly), or by
setting up an FTP server on your Mac. If I recall correctly,
/stand/sysinstall will expect the distribution files to be in a
directory named 2.2.5-RELEASE relative to the URL you specify.

HTH. HAND.

--
 * Finrod (INTJ) * Unix weenie * dag-erli@ifi.uio.no * cellular +47-92835919 *
  RFC1123: "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send"