Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 10:22:45 +0100
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
Cc:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>, 'Aditya' <aditya@grot.org>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [press@apache.org: PRESS RELEASE: ASF Reaches Agreement with Sun to  Allow Open Source Java Implementations]

Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> This does *not* mean that Sun will automatically release their reference
> implementations or their own Java technology under open source licenses.
> I won't speculate at this point as to whether they will; there's no doubt
> in my mind, though, that someone else will do so.  So, the porting work
> being done here with Sun's VM still might not go open source.  There's
> always a hope, though.

I have a more pessimistic scenario for you... What if Sun says: "ok, we
release the specs, so you can do independent implementations, but to
stay competitive, from now on we are not going to disclose the sources
for our JVMs..."

Sun is vitally interested in controlling the Java platform, so if they
give with one hand they need to take with the other hand somewhere
else...

Andrzej