Date:      Sun, 25 Nov 2012 12:42:16 +0000
From:      Attilio Rao <attilio@freebsd.org>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>, Giovanni Trematerra <giovanni.trematerra@gmail.com>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFQ] make witness panic an option

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 04:39:55PM +0000, Attilio Rao wrote:
>> On 11/15/12, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> wrote:

>> > Not all witness panics are actually fatal. For a developer who is
>> > sufficiently cluey in their area, they are quite likely able to just
>> > stare at the code paths for a while to figure out why the
>> > incorrectness occured.
>>
>> The problem is that such mechanism can be abused, just like the
>> BLESSING one and that's why this is disabled by default.
>
> WITNESS is a development tool. We don't ship production kernels with
> WITNESS even compiled in. What is more efficient use of developer time:
> going through full reboot cycle every time or reading the warning from
> console, unloading a module, fixing the bug and loading it again?
>
> And if this option is turned off by default what is the problem?

Yes, so, why do you write here?
Go ahead and fix BLESSED, make it the default, etc.

I have enough of your (not referred to you particulary but to the
people which contributed to this and other thread) to not be able to
respect others opinion.
As I said I cannot forbid you guys from doing anything, just go ahead,
write the code and commit it, albeit completely bypassing other
people's opinion.

Attilio