Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:45:07 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        Carl Ekman <carl.ekman@home.se>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE2 - Beta2

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Will Andrews wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 11:18:01AM +0200, Carl Ekman wrote:
> > The reason I switched from OpenBSD to FreeBSD was that I was so curious
> > about KDE2 and QT didn't seem to compile on OpenBSD.. No I've run in to
> > another problem. QT compiles nicely, but all the KDE-components complaint
> > about that they can't find jpeg6b, though I have i very much installed..
> >
> > Does anyone have an idea what the cause might be? I have no troubles
> > accessing jpeg6b otherwise..
>
> Don't bother trying with 1.91 anymore.  Even I had a *lot* of trouble
> getting it to compile.  However, in the last week or so, there have
> been many updates to KDE that tremendously improves its portability, WRT
> FreeBSD.  I am personally running a snapshot from yesterday and find it
> rather stable.
>
> The 1.92 beta will be available Real Soon Now (tm); I hope to have
> updated ports by the end of the week.

One key note here, if anyone is looking at KDE2 and wants something to do
while waiting ...

If you are running XFree86-4.0, upgrade before you move to KDE2 ... KDE2
must be using some special features in v4.0 that were buggy, as nobody how
hard I tried, it would hang my KDE on startup ... as soon as I moved to
v4.0.1, the problems disappeared ...

I'm running Will's ports (still in alpha) here and running directly from
CVS at home, and am happy with both ...