Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 23:45:56 +0200
From:      Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>
To:        Mike Holling <myke@ees.com>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>, Blaz Zupan <blaz@si.FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poor performance with FreeBSD and Windows ICS

On Sat, Jun 02, 2001 at 12:11:30PM -0600, Mike Holling wrote:
> > Could you give examples of what you did with rfc1323 extensions,
> > just enabled it in /etc/rc.conf, without touching the send/recieve
> > buffers, or ?
> >
> > Could you also please give a example of a site that you would get
> > hanging connections to ?
> >
> > What do you mean with hanging connections ?
>
> I did some more investigation.  Increasing the buffer sizes above 65535
> did not seem to improve performance further, although at 262144 it
> wouldn't work at all (just get a message about no buffer space being
> available).  Fetch worked fine with or without TCP extensions, enabling
> them didn't seem to make any difference in performance.  However, ncftp3
> would always hang with TCP extensions enabled.  It also didn't perform as
> well as fetch on the same download.  With fetch I was able to achieve over
> 90kbyte/sec downloads consistently, not bad for a service which claims to
> have a maximum thruput of only 400kbits/sec...

Could you please give specific examples of destinations not
working, including a ping to that host (so we'll see the RTD and
if there is loss).

Could you also please send your kernel configuration, and the output of
`sysctl -a | egrep \(kern.ipc\|net.inet\)`

/Jesper

Work:    Network manager   @ AS3292 (Tele Danmark DataNetworks)
Private: FreeBSD committer @ AS2109 (A much smaller network ;-)