Date:      Sun, 24 Jun 2001 21:05:41 -0500
From:      Damieon Stark <visigoth@mn.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   unified pwutil library - thoughts?

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

Hey all,

	Ok, so my thinking goes a little like this: having chpass, vipw,=20
passwd, rpc.yppasswdd et. al. using the same functions (pw_copy, pw_temp,
pw_init...) and then, in order to update the database calling a
function which does nothing more than execl(pwd_mkdb) and exit
seems kinda silly.=20
	For a couple of my projects, having a "BSD approved" way
of modifying the master.passwd/spwd.db would have been _very_ nice, so I
have created libpwutil.  This new lib could be used to (staticly) link
all the afore mentioned command line utils, and create a more central way
to manage password changes, as well as creating a reasonably nice C interfa=
ce
to changing passwords.
	If I am way off my rocker, please let me know.  I've
also created a _new_ pw_mkdb function which does NOT use execl or system.  =
If
this sounds like something that people are interested in, I would be happy =
work up some doccumentation, and submit it for inclusion/port-dom as well as
patches to chpass and crew if people think it is a good idea.
	Just _looking_ at the Makefiles for things like chpass brought on
the urge to make a change... ;) Also, future support for things like NIS+/L=
DAP
could (possibly) be more easily developed.

visigoth

P.S. the lib will be BSD licenced, NOT GPL'd ;)

--=20

Damieon Stark, CCSE
Unix/Network Security Engineer
<plug>
currently seeking employment
</plug>

___
	Damieon Stark		| Microsoft: Where do you want to go today?
	e: visigoth@mn.rr.com	| Linux: Where do you want to go tommorow?
	p: 612.382.6945		| FreeBSD: Are you guys comming or what?
	pgp: 0xBE5D0C57		| http://www.freebsd.org - The power to serve!
---

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy--