Date:      Mon, 1 May 2006 12:48:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Stuart Barkley <stuartb@4gh.net>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: Problems recording sound in FreeBSD 5.1 (now 6.0)

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 at 23:28 -1000, Stephen Bartlett wrote:

> I just installed FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE on my laptop.  I was bummed
> that the microphone seemed inoperative because I really wanted to
> use Skype (especially after having gotten it running).  I Googled
> around and found the solution in a 2003 message from Stuart Barkley:

With 6.1 my patch is no longer necessary.  The igain control can now
be used to enable the microphone preamp.  The support has been in
ac97.c but disabled for a while.  Recently this code was enabled and
looks like it should be in the final 6.1 release.

The support in 6.1 is much better than my hack which just always
enabled the mic gain.  I'm not sure if it is documented very well
anywhere, nor do I know where I would expect this to be documented
since it only applies to ac97 codecs.
--
I've never been lost; I was once bewildered for three days, but never lost!
                                        --  Daniel Boone