Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 17:50:37 -0400
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Indicating patch levels

On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 10:47:27PM -0400, James Housley wrote:
> This version (Linux-like) has one major advantage.  If I port
> TheEndAllSoftware V1.4 and make some changes it will become
> TheEndAllSoftware-1.4.2.tgz.  Then there is an official bug release
> V1.4.1.  It might look like we went backwards.

Yes, unfortunately.  However, if it is a patchlevel, you could also
consider ``1.4pl2'', which is greater than 1.4 but less than 1.4.1.
This would be acceptable under Ports Collection's PKGNAME rules.
Hyphens are not allowed because they conflict with
${PORTNAME}-${PORTVERSION}.

Actually, maybe I forget why we don't allow hyphens...

> Some ports lend them selves better to this then others and we need to
> use it properly.  There also should be modifications to add_package,
> maybe, to support fetching newer version optionally if they exist.  But
> that is jumping too far ahead.

"Patchlevels" can be handled like I suggested, by suffixing letters then
another number, rather than using hyphens.

--
Will Andrews <andrewsw@purdue.edu> <will@FreeBSD.org>
GCS/E/S @d- s+:+ a--- C++ UB++++$ P+ L- E--- W+ N-- !o ?K w---