Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 2003 17:49:27 -0700
From:      Michael Collette <metrol@metrol.net>
To:        Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
Subject:   Re: IBM T30: more thermal problems

Not sure how much different your T30 is from my T23, but let's work from the
assumption that their pretty darn similar.

First off, the laptop should be monitoring its own temperature without needing
futher help from anything software related.  In short, it's doubtful that you
have an OS problem here.

If that CPU fan isn't blowing like it should you can hope for it just being a
bit dirty.  First, power down and remove your battery.  Now remove the only
other panel that "is not" covering the memory.  This panel should be covering
the modem and ethernet cards.  Behind that panel the CPU fan should be
visible.

Using compressed air, blow out the fan from both the panel side and the vent
side.  Do not just use your own breath. You won't be able to generate enough
force, and you'll be blowing moisture on in as well.

If you're still not getting proper cooling, you may very well have a fan
that's going bad.  My T23 is in the shop now for that very problem.  The fan
is like $70, but IBM won't sell it to you unless you're a for real service
center.  If you're under warranty, get that sent back to them ASAP.  Poor
cooling will cause long term problems with that box.

Lastly, you might also consider picking up a Targus CoolPad.

http://www.targus.com/product_details.asp?sku=PA239U

I picked up one of these a while back for my laptop.  I rarely ever use my
laptop without it now.  It does help cooling a bit.  Best of all, it gets
that Thinkpad into a far more comfortable typing position.  Slides right on
into my laptop bag too.

Here's the bigger one of them things.  Never had one of these, so I can't
really comment beyond giving you a link.

http://www.targus.com/product_details.asp?sku=PA241U

Later on,

--
"Always listen to experts.  They'll tell you what can't be done, and why.
Then do it."