Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 1998 20:55:43 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "D. Rock" <rock@cs.uni-sb.de>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, rock@cs.uni-sb.de
Subject:   Re: softupdates and /

Luoqi Chen writes:
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > I had some (hardware related) crashes lately and noticed that
 > > softupdates arenīt enabled if the filesystem was unclean. So after a
 > > crash I had to boot twice to re-enable softupdates on / again (no need
 > > to run tunefs though).
 > > Is this because soft updates are no mount option and so cannot be
 > > enabled later and soft updates arenīt enabled on an unclean fs for
 > > safety reasons?
 > > Or is this just a bug?
 > >
 > > Daniel
 > >
 > I believe this is a bug. After fsck fixes inconsistencies on the disk,
 > it will remount / with MNT_RELOAD flag to update the in-core superblock
 > image. For some reason, fsck might change fs_ronly flag in superblock
 > (to be more precise, it will change fs_ronly iff it has fixed the free
 > block count -- could any more knowledgeable person tell me why it is
 > doing that?!), and because of that, all the code to be called during
 > ro->rw update is bypassed, including enabling of softupdate.
[patch deleted]
OK, I saw the patch being integrated into current. But still my root
fs doesn't get soft updates enabled after a crash. This is my system
booted after a forced crash:
% mount
/dev/sd0s1a on / (local, writes: sync 54051 async 62742)
/dev/wd2a on /data (local, soft-updates, writes: sync 126 async 24454)
procfs on /proc (local)
/dev/wd0s1 on /dos (local)
mfs:23 on /tmp (asynchronous, local, writes: sync 30 async 380)

After a 2nd reboot, soft updated are enabled again, so the flag is on
the on-disk copy of the superblock correct.

Daniel