Date:      Mon, 31 Dec 2012 11:28:15 +1030
From:      Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
To:        Alexander Lindemann <z3r03nna@antiniveau.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange mouse behavior in Gnome2

On 30/12/2012 23:21, Alexander Lindemann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a strange problem with my mouse while using Gnome2 (same
> problem with KDE) on FreeBSD 9:
>
> mouseclicks aren't working if I open another window, my testcase is
> opening the keyboard-settings and trying to add another Layout, but
> its the same with other windows. I can't even open an terminal
> without loosing control of the panel and the other windows. I can
> close and manipulate the windows with my keyboard.
>
> I tried everything I could find about HAL and X, but nothing helped.
>
> I hope you can help me.

Start with the basics - is one mouse and keyboard the only input devices
you have? Are they plugged straight into the motherboard sockets?

I ask this as I have just tried running the mouse through a usb hub that
turned out to be flaky causing it to have erratic behaviour. I have also
seen a second mouse and a wacom tablet interfere with a mouse. The two
mice came from a wireless keyboard/mouse combo where the mouse was
useless (actually it was a logitech wireless combo, the mouse was going
to sleep even as I was using it) - the wireless transceiver always
responded as a mouse and keyboard even if the mouse had no battery to
respond.