Date:      Tue, 9 Oct 2001 14:00:16 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        tlambert2@mindspring.com
Cc:        Unhappy Adobe Customer <bsd_appliance@yahoo.com>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSSCA?

Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> types:
> Unhappy Adobe Customer wrote:
> > What do you folks think about the "draft" SSSCA? For those of
> > you who haven't heard, Disney and some entertainment
> > conglomerates think all digital electronics and software
> > should be forced to contain copyright enforcement. They've
> > come up with this ridiculous draft where "trafficking" in
> > non-compliant devices is punished by 5 years in prison (as if
> > computer software is narcotics). If this passes, I think it
> > could essentially outlaw "free software", "open source" or
> > whatever you want to call it. Even if this isn't done by law,
> > getting software support for crippled hardware may be all but
> > impossible. What do you think?
> I pos facto.
>
> (Translation: you can't make something illegal after the fact).

But you can always make doing it again illegal. In this case, the
SSSCA include provision that exclude all products that were in
production before the bill takes effect. But allowing anonymous CVS
access to a program that didn't incorporate the approriate security
technology would become illlegal with the first commit after the bill
takes effect.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.