Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 1996 15:42:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Hudginsj@smtp.dancooks.com (Jason Hudgins)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: another question for you?

I advised:
% The cheapest and easiest way would be to buy another tape drive for the
% FreeBSD system.  Seriously.

To which you replied:
> okay...I took your advice..I just installed a HP C1536A SCSI DAT
> Drive.  Kernel recognizes it as /dev/nrst0 ...I have a 90 meter DDS1
> tape in it..
> Now how do I back stuff up to it..?
> I presume that I use dump.

dump, cpio, or tar.  There is also a program called pax, which is
cpio and tar rolled into one.

> but how..it doesn't seem to like me very much..and the documentation
> in the freebsd handbook is very sparce..
> The manpage is semi-useful...Do i need to format the tape at all? I
> don't think so..but If I do..how would I do it? How do I tell dump
> the density of my tape? it doesnt' like my command line options..
> If only I had an example...and example could go a long way.. =>

I've always used tar myself.  To backup your entire system onto
a single DAT tape (if it'll fit), try:

	tar -cvf /dev/rst0 /

This tells tar to (c)reate an archive, be (v)erbose about it, i.e.
print the filenames as they're added to the archive, on (f)ile
/dev/rst0.

Try reading the man pages on tar, pax, and dump.  They're pretty
obtuse, but might give you some help.

I also recommend that you RUN to the nearest bookstore and get get a
copy of _Essential System Administration_ from O'Reilly and Associates;
it will help greatly in your quest to become <fanfare here>
*SUPER-USER*.

> There is a manpage for st (SCSI tape controller) but the command
> isn't present on either of my two freebsd systems that I can find.

That's odd.  It should be there.  I don't have FreeBSD up right now, so
I can look for you.  I gotta get a little BSD box here at work...  ;^)

> Thanks for your help...can I get you to help me a little more

Sure, you just have to agree to help next poor FreeBSD'er that comes
along.  ;^)