Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:58:45 +0000
From:      Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net>
To:        Mike Hunter <mhunter@ack.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Flaimbait] "amd64" vs "x86-64"

--DLrrb1ThO6aUXDeM

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 11:48:06AM -0800, Mike Hunter wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I was wondering if anybody here has discussed the difference in
> terminology between FreeBSD and Linux regarding the amd64 architecture.
> Now that Intel is making chips that support AMD's instruction set, one
> could argue that it would be better to use a vendor-neutral term to
> describe the architecture.
>=20
> I condemn Intel for the games they've played over AMD's architecture, and
> I'm bringing this up to try to be "fair" to Intel; I'm only bringing it up
> as something that should be discussed as a possible help to the FreeBSD
> community as this architecture moves forward.  Would the FreeBSD community
> stand to benefit to adopt Linux's "x86-64" terminology?

It's already been discussed and we're sticking with "amd64" as it was the
first platform that we supported.  NetBSD have also moved to "amd64" from
"x86-64".  Check the archives for further details.

Ceri
--=20
not sure about the former.			  -- Einstein (attrib.)

--DLrrb1ThO6aUXDeM

--DLrrb1ThO6aUXDeM--