Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 1998 09:05:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Change in behavior between inn 1.5.1 and inn 1.7.2 port?

I am not sure if this is a FreeBSD problem or an inn problem, which is why
I'm posting it here.  I apologize in advance if this is inappropriate.

I finally upgraded the really old inn 1.5.1 on my system, to the latest
inn 1.7.2 from the ports collection (I just grabbed a new ports tree last
night).  I've noticed an odd and somewhat annoying difference in the way
the two inn versions work.

In the old version of INN, if I posted something, it would appear
immediately.  The proper entry in /usr/local/news/lib/active would be
instantly changed, an article for it would instantly appear in the
/var/news spool, and it would be instantly available to my newsreader.

But, in the new version of inn, when I post something, it doesn't appear
instantly.

Ex: If I post something to a group, let's say "alt.test", it will be
accepted by the news server immediately, and a corresponding file will
appear under /var/news/alt/test.  However, the "high mark" field (field
#2) in /usr/local/news/lib/active will not get immediately updated, which
prevents the newsreader from seeing "aha!  group alt.test has new articles
in it!"  Eventually the news software realizes that yes, new messages are
available.  Usually rebooting will do this.  Also "ctlinnd renumber
<group>" will do the trick.

It should be noted that I am using the exact same configuration files,
etc. that I took from my working inn 1.5.1 setup (I checked through the
new config files first, though, to see if there were any format or
options/argument changes).  The only things I changed were that
(obviously) I installed the new version of inn, and I also completely
cleared out and reset the news spool and active file.

Any ideas what's going on here, or especially how to fix it (to get back
the old behavior of immediately updating everything)?  Please respond.
Thanks!

Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com> - Ask me for my PGP key | PGP: Your
WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.