Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 19:07:06 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.csd.uu.se>
To:        Andrew <andrew@soc.lg.gov.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: toor

On Mon, Apr 17, 2000 at 05:25:10PM +0000, Andrew wrote:
> I have user toor with UID 0 in my system.

That is normal.

> Is this security hole?

No.

> Why he exists by default? Which purpose?

Basically as an an alternative root account with a different shell.
(Default shell for 'root' is /bin/csh, for 'toor' it is /bin/sh.)

(Note that 'toor' is 'root' backwards...)

See it as an example of how you can have several usernames with the same UID
and the same home directory but different shells.

> Can I remove him from the system?

Sure, nothing (AFAIK) depends on 'toor' existing.

> His password?

Unless you have changed something the password for 'toor' should be
'*' meaning that it is disabled and you can't login as that user.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson