Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 17:21:15 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@tri-lakes.net>
To:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advice on new SCSI hardware

On 20-Nov-97 Tom wrote:
>> am most likely going to use is the Tekram DC-390F (i believe that is
>the
>
>  Tekram?  Why?  All the tekram controllers I know are dogs.
>
>  A NCR875 based card (like the Diamand Fireport 40) are pretty cheap,
>and
>fast.

Uuuuuh, the Tekram DC-390F *IS* based on the NCR 875, many of the people
on this list like it, and it is inexpensive (I would almost count on
Diamond to have a pretty high price tag on their Fireport, though I don't
know how much it actually costs.)

>  I have two Micropolis 3243 drives.  I don't belive they make these
>anymore, as I got mine almost two years ago.  I hate them.  One of them
>is
>flaky (locks up, and requires a _power cycle_ before it will respond to a
>problem).  They also run hot.

Thanks. This confirms my suspicion about those drives.   :-)

>  I don't reconize that Seagate model number, but I like the Seagate
>Barracuda 4LP or 4XL series.  I have about 15 2GB and 4GB 4XL or 4LP
>drives, and they work well.  Very reliable, and very fast.  No failures
>date (they are used 24x7).
>
>> Concerning the swap area (which will be on these drives), which is
>better:
>> setting the drives to be entirely consumed by the ccd partitions and
>> putting the swap within the virtual ccd, or just leave some free space
>on
>
>  You can put swap in the virtual ccd?  I guess you could disklabel ccd0c
>disk, but I just newfs it, and mount it.

Now that I actually think about it, no, unless I were to create a vnode for
it, which would be ridiculous.

--- Chris Dillon
--- cdillon@tri-lakes.net