Date:      Sun, 08 Nov 1998 05:46:14 -0500
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: port 1080 scans

Christoph Kukulies wrote in message ID
<199811080938.KAA06024@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>:
> In our campus network we are increasingly observing port
> scan attacks from outer sites on port 1080 (socks).

My bet is that they are not looking for security holes, but rather open socks
`relays' to be used like open WinGates and mask the packet trails. I had
socks5 on my machine at home for less than 24 hours before someone tried to
use it to gain access to an IRC server, making it look like my machine was the
packet source.

Gary