Date:      Thu, 3 Mar 2022 23:25:47 +0100
From:      Milan Obuch <freebsd-riscv@dino.sk>
To:        freebsd-riscv@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sipeed Lichee RV (Allwinner D1)

On Thu, 3 Mar 2022 22:50:30 +0100
Julien Cassette <julien.cassette@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le lun. 28 f=C3=A9vr. 2022 =C3=A0 18:48, Milan Obuch <freebsd-riscv@dino.=
sk> a
> =C3=A9crit :

[ snip ]

> > Hi,
> >
> > I have zero knowledge about Allwinner D1, however your console log
> > is really short, almost no devices here. As it is not possible to
> > mount root this way (no device where any file system could reside
> > on), it is possible to use memory filesystem (mfs) embedded in
> > kernel for small root.
> >
> > Also, at 'mountroot>' prompt, try pressing '?' to get valid disk
> > boot devices list, probably it is empty because lack of devices.
> > Using mfs allows boot to multiuser with some minimal filesystem,
> > which is important milestone when working on support for new
> > system, in my eyes.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Milan
> > =20
>=20
> Hi Milan and thanks for your help
>=20
> > Also, at 'mountroot>' prompt, try pressing '?' to get valid disk
> > boot devices list, probably it is empty because lack of devices. =20
>=20
> Yes it is empty. I guess there is no MMC driver for the D1 right now.
>=20
> > is possible to use memory filesystem (mfs) embedded in kernel for
> > small root. =20
>=20
> I have managed to boot from an mfs root containing /rescue and some
> symlinks. I have got a shell prompt but then the D1 resets a few
> seconds after that. The log is here: https://pastebin.com/HMCVaHFa
>=20

Well, this is probably watchdog firing reset. From U-Boot:

WDT:   Started watchdog@6011000 with servicing (16s timeout)

You need either write a watchdog driver to prevent timeout occuring, or
disable the watchdog (if possible, this could not be the case). Also,
it would help to see FDT (from U-Boot, command 'fdt print', but this
needs probably 'fdt addr xxxx' with correct address first). Log
presented is too short, suggesting FDT used is incomplete for some
reason.

Also, you can load root filesystem from embedded image automatically,
using

options ROOTDEVNAME=3D\"ufs:/dev/md0\"

in kernel config.

Regards,