Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2012 17:12:53 -0400
From:      Michael Scheidell <scheidell@FreeBSD.org>
To:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How useful is %%DATADIR%%, anyway?

On 3/23/12 4:14 PM, Chris Rees wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> Just as a thought, I decided to try stripping out all mentions of
> %%DATADIR%%, %%DOCSDIR%% etc from pkg-plist, and replacing them with
> PORTDOCS=*, PORTDATA=* in the Makefiles etc.
Don't forget EXAMPLESDOC!

> I propose modifying the Porter's Handbook to discourage use of
> %%PORTDOCS%% etc in static plists, and encourage the use of PORTDOCS

want to take a stab at this one?

<*http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/165820>;

you are saying that instead of
*

+%%PORTDOCS%%%%DOCSDIR%% in the plist, this one, you could basically eliminate plist-file (save 2k on the disk?)
and put them in PLIST_FILES in Makefile.

what if the 'docs' are in a strange place?  like this port?
how would this port be fixed?

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
 >*| * SECNAP Network Security Corporation
d: +1.561.948.2259
w: http://people.freebsd.org/~scheidell