Date:      Mon, 07 Jan 2002 23:17:09 -0700
From:      Ian <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Using bash as default shell for root

> The main issue here was that bash traditionally isn't available in
> single-user mode because /usr isn't mounted when root gets its first
> shell prompt.  Statically linking bash, copying it to /bin and
> updating /etc/shells solves the 1st problem, but it won't get updated
> as the rest of the system (or the bash port) does.  And I wasn't sure
> there were any other issues to using bash as root's default shell.
> (besides the fact that it's GPL, which is why it will probably never
> become part of the base system)

I've been using bash as the login shell for root for years in freebsd, no
problems.  I don't see the point of messing with the toor user, I just use
vipw and change root's shell to bash when I install on a new machine, it's
part of my post-install tweak rituals.

I don't worry about the single-user mode issue, since I've spent a total of
maybe 10 minutes in single-user mode in the past 5 or 6 years (usually after
forgetting to tweak /etc/fstab after swapping in new disk drives).

-- Ian