Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 2006 10:45:16 -0700
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
To:        rmgls@wanadoo.fr
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: iwi driver

rmgls@wanadoo.fr wrote:
> hello all,
>
> since the last update dated
> Sat Apr 29, (on current),
> the iwi driver does not work:
> cannot change any achannel, and no association!
> the old version of the driver works.

> ;* Copyright Sam Leffler  */
>
> 	previous:
> /*	$FreeBSD: src/sys/dev/iwi/if_iwi.c,v 1.27 2006/01/29 12:03:03 damien Exp $	*/
>
> the nic is seated onboard of a s5 Sony laptop.
> 		dmesg:
> firmware_get: failed to load firmware image iwi_bss
> iwi0: could not load firmware

> firmware_get: failed to load firmware image iwi_bss
> iwi0: could not load firmware
>
> 		pciconf -lv
> iwi0@pci6:11:0:	class=0x028000 card=0x27538086 chip=0x42208086 rev=0x05 hdr=0x00
>     vendor   = 'Intel Corporation'
>     device   = 'PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection'
>     class    = network
>
> Please can you tell me something to do about this?

The firmware image file could not be loaded; verify it is present and
named properly.  The driver in cvs will accept either 2.4 or 3.x rev
image formats so if you get the filename right it should just work.
Unfortunately there was a period of time where the driver in cvs would
only accept rev 3.0 firmware then the names associated with the firmware
changed, etc.  As a result some people have bogus firmware files on
their system.

When in doubt you can pre-load the firmware with kldload.  Unfortunately
firmware(9) doesn't have any debug msgs to show things like firmware
images being registered.  This would be useful for cases like this.

	Sam