Date:      Mon, 24 May 2004 19:20:07 -0700
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trouble Adding Device Driver

I wrote a *very* simple device driver.  It really just manipulates a few
fixed addresses on some customized PC-104 boards.  However, I cannot
seem to get the kernel to run the device probe and attach routines.  I
set it up to use a line like this in the config file:

device vsbc at isa? port 0xe0

since the base address can get set to either 0xe0 or 0x1e0 by BIOS
functions.  It really just follows the simple-minded isa device driver
structures of other examples in the system, but when probe and attach
time comes around, a boot verbose prints

vsbc0 failed to probe at port 0xe0 on isa0

Can anyone please help me out by explaining what incredibly
simple-minded and stupid thing I forgot to do when setting this device
up?

I appreciate any help anyone can give.

/Joe