Date:      Fri, 19 May 2006 13:21:49 -0400
From:      James Snow <snow@teardrop.org>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slices + stripes and mirrors

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 07:19:55PM +0200, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 03:55:07PM -0700, Darcy Buskermolen wrote:
> +>
> +> I have a 6.1 setup with 4 identical 300GB disks, ad4,6,8,10.  I'd like to
> +> create a bootable mirror (gm0s1) of all 4 disks on a 512MB slice, and have
> +> the remaining space a big slice (gs0s2).

I'm going something almost identical and have been having some
difficulty.

> Ok, first initialize your disks and create two slices on them:
>
> 	# apply "fdisk -Bi /dev/ad%1" 4 6 8 10
>
> (If they are identical, you can probably initizlize one of them and copy
>  first 63 sectors to the others.)
>
> Once you have your slices, create a mirror:

I've been using Ralf's guide[1] for the basics of this, and he mentions
that you need to shrink the slice by one sector.  Is this still the case
in 6.1?  If so, when doing two slices per disk, do you need to shrink
both slices by one sector, or only the last slice on the disk?

-Snow

[1] http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/