Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 2010 17:20:48 -0700
From:      Rob Farmer <rfarmer@predatorlabs.net>
To:        Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3@amdmi3.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Marcin Cieslak <saper@saper.info>
Subject:   Re: [legal] port with restrictive license

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 11:44, Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3@amdmi3.ru> wrote:

> Is I understand, to comply with license, we need to prohibit
> distribution of software into "(or to a national or resident of)
> any country to which the United States has embargoed goods", which
> we likely won't do thus we should not mirror the files.

Any software which has been developed in the US is covered by the
export restrictions, regardless if people find this distasteful and
didn't mention it in the GPL, BSD license, etc. Thus, has a practical
matter, probably (at least) 90% of the ports collection is already
covered and this really isn't anything new.

Look at the legal disclaimers on Red Hat's website (or any major US
company distributing open source software). They flat out say you
can't download anything if you are in one of the prohibited countries.
GPL-like requirements to distribute source to people in those
countries would not hold up in court because they are a violation of
federal law.

--
Rob Farmer