Date:      Tue, 02 Sep 1997 22:16:09 +0200
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it>
To:        "Stephen Guthartz" <stephen@markonfootwear.com>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: best proxy server port and another question

At 14.24 02/09/97 -0400, Stephen Guthartz wrote:
>I have recently set up my first freebsd (2.1.7.1) machine for my small ISP
>service in Brazil.  Besides running the machine as a secondary DNS, I would
>like to set it up as a caching proxy server to try and help relieve
>bandwidth bottlenecks.  I've heard about three packages, harvest, the
>apache add-in module, and something from CERN.  What do you suggest.  If
>possible, could you send installation instructions beyoind the MAKE file?

We use squid (ready to install in the packages) and it works quite good....
very simple installation and configuration...

Btw ...
A questions for the experts... Is possible that the proxy slow down the
connection if a lot of users use it ? I'll try to explain better : If
everyone use the ethernet band of the proxy (instead of using the "modem
band" in the case of no proxy)  for downloading and surfing is possible
that all the system slow down ?
I hope it is clearer , but I am not so sure :-)

Regards...
Gianmarco
"Unix expert since yesterday"

Home page: http://www2.masternet.it/~gmarco