Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 2003 20:25:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Soeren Straarup <xride@x12.dk>
To:        Fabio Miranda Hamburger <fabmirha@ns.isi.ulatina.ac.cr>
Cc:        FreeBsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: honest question.

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Fabio Miranda Hamburger wrote:

> > >The problem is Xfree86 just support 24 bit color quality, and
> > >vmware under
> > >freebsd is still bogus, the apm feature doesnt work.
> >
> > Did you add the following line in your kernel file?
> > device          apm0    at nexus? flags 0x20 # Advanced Power Managemen=
> >
> > Any specific errors/behavior? or Did you try the bios to disable the po=
wer management?

> > I don't have the your make and model laptop, but been very successful i=
n doing apm on many machines, even when XP says "now you can turn the compu=
ter off" after issuing shutdown :-).

> > Each laptop has slightly different attitude towards power management, b=
ut I am sure you'd be able to find some help on the freebsd mailing list an=
d/or "googling" it.

> I have done all that, They apm status info says that is unable to get
> status.
>
> > >Okey, to be honest i like freebsd but I am affraid freebsd is
> > >not an ideal
> > >os for a laptop.
> > >What u guys think?
> > >I dont like linux, but I am forced to switch, what u think?
>
> > Have you updated the /usr/ports?  Although Xfree86 is not as simple as =
it should be, however, have had very little problem with compiling it from =
source or installing it from CD.

> > What has worked for me is "portupgrade" that automatically upgrades my =
ports with little hassle.

> I keep my system updated in -stable branch.
> XFree86 doesnt take advantage of my high resolution I only see 24 bits
> true color.
>
> FreeBSD should be able to run on laptops, i like freebsd style.

Well it would, but it need man hours and someone has to donate them.