Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:20:13 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@imasy.or.jp>
To:        lists@lists.grot.org
Cc:        takhus@takhus.mind.net, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: syslog changes in 4.2-stable?

>>>>> On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:58:49 -0800
>>>>> lists <lists@lists.grot.org> said:

lists> On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 10:35:22PM -0800, Tony Fleisher wrote:
> I happened to run into this exact problem sometime last week and
> found that it was fixed by adding:
>    setlogsock('unix');

lists> Thanks, yes, that works...but, ugh. So some backward-compatibility was broken
lists> in 4.2-STABLE...and that should probably be fixed...

It is security reason.  The -s option is specified by default under
4.X or later.  If you need, you can still enable insecure mode by
omitting -s from syslogd_flags in /etc/rc.conf.  However, if you
intend to log within the host, it is not recommended.
Please refer manpage of syslogd.

ume@mahoroba.org  ume@bisd.hitachi.co.jp  ume@{,jp.}FreeBSD.org
http://www.imasy.org/~ume/