Date:      Thu, 25 May 1995 15:45:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        tom@uniserve.com (Tom Samplonius)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading...

>   I upgraded a 4-12 system to current by mounting /usr/src off another
> machine and doing a "make world".  This has the unfortunate effect of
> installing symlinks in /usr/include into the /usr/src/sys tree.  Is there
> a way _installing_ the include files?

cd /usr/src;
make SHARED=copies install

It is more than just your /usr/include that ended up symlinked :-(,
there are some Makefiles down under /usr/share that wrongly decided
it was a smart idea to copy the /usr/include stuff and use the same
knob to turn it on and off with :-(

This is on my post 2.1 hit list of things to fix, to major of a rework
for 2.1.