Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 23:37:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        mjacob@feral.com, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.1-20000719-RC#2

Mike Smith writes:

 > Er, if you have been prompted for a terminal type, sysinstall is
 > *already*running*, and it has probably exited.  Can you be MORE SPECIFIC
 > about your errors messages?

Did you look at the boot log that Matt posted last week?  I've
uploaded it to Freefall & left it in ~gallatin/going_nowhere in case
you misplaced it.

To sum up, sysinstall complains bitterly about the existing state of
the disk labels, then dies.  Here's the tail end:

	da4s4: slice starts beyond end of the disk: rejecting it
	da1: raw partition size != slice size
	da1: start 0, end 8380079, size 8380080
	da1c: start 0, end 4294967295, size 0
	da1: raw partition size != slice size
	da1: start 0, end 8380079, size 8380080
	da1c: start 0, end 4294967295, size 0
	init died (signal 0, exit 1)
	panic: Going nowhere without my init!

	syncing disks...
	done
	Uptime: 1m1s
	Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
	--> Press a key on the console to reboot <--
	Rebooting...

I think this may be a transient bug in sysinstall, and may not
actually be in the loader/bootstrap at all.

For what its worth, the sysinstall ran just fine on my AS500, which
was configured as
da0: linux/alpha (BSD label, SRM bootable, elf /sbin/init)
da1: dd'ed ISO RC2 image
da2: (unknown; haven't looked at that disk)

Drew