Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 2021 22:51:31 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
To:        Ryan Moeller <ryan@ixsystems.com>
Cc:        Kristof Provost <kp@freebsd.org>, Li-Wen Hsu <lwhsu@freebsd.org>, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, freqlabs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libifconfig non-private in 13?

Ryan Moeller wrote this message on Tue, Jan 05, 2021 at 13:56 -0500:
> On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 9:15 AM Kristof Provost <kp@freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 26 Dec 2020, at 22:33, Li-Wen Hsu wrote:

> I agree with the feeling that the current API may eventually need to be revised,
> but as far as I'm aware nobody has plans or work in progress on that front.
> I don't object to making the library public, and perhaps that will even help
> gather interested parties to help continue fleshing out the missing pieces.

> > > I would say it is nice to have some scripting language bindings to it,
> > > although I'm not sure if this is possible and a feasible usage.
> > >
> > I???m sure it???s possible. Ryan actually done some of that work:
> > https://reviews.freebsd.org/D25447
> >
> > Maybe we should merge that too.
>
> The API does make bindings a little funky, but it works.
>
> I recall speaking to at least one person who was interested in Python bindings
> for libifconfig, as well.

I currently would like to use libifconfig, but I'm worried that it's
undocumented.  There are no man pages to help guide a user.  IMO, it
shouldn't be made public till there is decent documentation for it.

The lua bindings has docs, but I haven't looked at them in detailed
to see if they could be adapted to the C api at all..

I'd be more than willing to [help] maintain a ctypes based ifconfig
binding for Python.  These are often pretty quick to get together..

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579