Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 16:14:30 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Air Edwin" <airedwin@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sound card

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999 03:50:17 GMT, "Air Edwin" wrote:

> how do i setup my sound card? i have pnp0 in my kernel and when i boot
> it up it detects my soundcard, what should i use as the device for it?
> pcm0??? and do i make a device /dev/snd0 or /dev/pcm0?

That depends on what you see in your kernel boot probe. Do this and see
whether your kernel found pcm0 or snd0:

	dmesg | less

Once you know, you can use MAKEDEV to create the correct devices and
appropriate symlinks, with either:

	cd /dev ; ./MAKEDEV snd0

or
	cd /dev ; ./MAKEDEV pcm0

You didn't say what version of FreeBSD you're using. It's possible that
you'll see in your dmesg output that the probe for pcm0 failed, but that
a probe for pcm1 was successful. In that case, you can set up the
appropriate devices and symlinks with this command:

	cd /dev ; ./MAKEDEV pcm1

Ciao,
Sheldon.