Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 16:47:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      steven <stevensl@mindspring.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IRCD running as wrong user

I have a FBSD 3.0 machine (release) which is used for IRC and as a shell
(SSH) machine. It runs with about 30 +/- users almost all the time
but recently i've noticed a "quirk". I installed IRCD and when i run IRCD
when i'm su'd as root its runs as one of the local users not me nor root.

I checked the uid & gid of both root, myself and the user in question
and saw nothing amiss

permissions on ircd are shown
-rwx------   1 root     wheel      532289 Mar 25 16:22 ircd

i had this same exact problem but more wide spread with a late
2.x release but now it seems that ircd is the only real offending app.

security wise this has got me a bit concerned. anyone have any ideas?

Steven S.
403forbidden.net

 "Obscure, profound it was, and nebulous, So that by fixing on
  its depths my sight -- Nothing whatever I discerned therein."

     -- Dante's seminal work on MS Windows, Inferno --on the Windows API