Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 08:49:30 -0600
From:      Dave Glowacki <dglo@SSEC.WISC.EDU>
To:        Dave Babler <dbabler@rigel.orionsys.com>
Cc:        stable@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CTM coredumps on src-2.1.0196.gz...

> >Is there a resolution for this? I just checked and the .0196 issue is
> >still the same version I and others had problems running. Many complaints
> >during the process about non-existing files and ultimate checksum failure.
>
> As someone else already reported, and I verified,  starting with base
> update file from 2.1.5 CD, everything updates just fine. I suggest that you
> clean your tree and rebuild it.

Before you do that, you might want to just try a bit of text editing.

gunzip src-2.1.0196.gz (after, of course, making a copy of the original
file) and delete the reference to that one file (if your system is in the
same state as mine, it's only trying to delete that one file.)  When you
gzip the 196 file again and rerun ctm, you'll get an error message that
the checksum should be some hideously long number instead of the original
hideously long number.  gunzip the 196 file again, replace the original
checksum at the end of the file with the new checksum, re-gzip and rerun ctm.

This worked for me, and I'm up to src-2.1.0210.  Usual restrictions apply,
however: your mileage may vary; may cause blindness in farm animals; etc.
etc. etc.