Date:      Fri, 10 May 1996 09:56:17 EST
From:      "David Alderman" <dave@persprog.com>
To:        smatthew@ccnet.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Motherboards

> I'm looking to build a Pentium system to run FreeBSD. I'm looking for a
> good quality motherboard that can do parity on the memory, and is PCI. What
> are you using? What would you reccomend? Thanks for helping a FreeBSD
> newbie.
> Thanks
>
> Scott
I would recommend ASUS boards in general.  They have a fairly good
track record.  To get parity, you will need either a Triton II or a
Neptune board (the Triton II is the newer chipset).  Does anybody
have a Triton II (82430HX) board working with FreeBSD?  I seem to
remember some problem with it, but that it may have been fixed a
couple of weeks ago?  Also if anyone has a list of boards in general
that support parity or (egad!) ECC, it might be nice to post it here.
I have a problem with making servers that have no provision for
detecting even simple single bit errors.
When philosophy conflicts with reality, choose reality.
Dave Alderman  -- dave@persprog.com