Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 2002 09:09:11 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Alexander V Zubchenko <stalker@hermes-comp.zp.ua>
To:        Corey Snow <corey@snowpoint.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Command Summary?

Greetings!

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Corey Snow wrote:

> Is there a summary or browseable list of the commands available in
> FreeBSD, and if so, where?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Corey Snow

Let me provide here another way:
# makewhatis //I'm not sure that this will work as non-root.
# foreach i (`find /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin -type f`)
? basename $i >> tmp.cmd.lst
? end
# whatis `cat tmp.cmd.lst` | less

This must provide You with a one-line descriptions of all commands
(but, interesting, no whatis for cp(1) :-( ). If this happen to You, get a
look on 'man <cmd>' (for cp(1), this work).

Hope, this may help.

Alexander