Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2000 00:44:07 -0500
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        Otter <otterr@telocity.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FW: Laptop dilemma (pccard woes)

Otter stated:
: }
: }Regis, can I phone a friend? I recently got a Toshiba
: }Satellite 330CDS and eventually got the pccard NIC working,
: }and am quite happy with it now. One of the guys I work with
: }is a potential BSD convert, and I offered to install on his
: }Toshiba Satellite 225CDS laptop for him. I was able to use
: }the pccard NIC to do an FTP install over the LAN here, but
: }now I can't get it to recognize it since the reboot. I've
: }removed the word "disable" from the pcic1 line in the kernel
: }(as I had to do on the other laptop). I've copied the
: }pccard.conf from /etc/defaults to /etc. I've enabled it in
: }/etc/rc.conf by adding:
: }
: }pccard_enable="YES"
: }pccardd_flags=" -i 10"
: }pccard_mem="DEFAULT"
: }network_interfaces="ep0 lo0"
: }pccard_ifconfig="inet 192.168.1.90  netmask 255.255.255.0"
: }(I only pasted the pccard relevant lines)
: }
: }... I've swapped NIC's from one machine to another. the 3com
: }574 works fine on the other machine, but neither NIC is
: }found here. In the dmesg, I get a "pccardc /dev/card0:
: }device not configured" error, yet there are card0-3 in my
: }/dev. I noticed there's not even any pcic0 entries in my
: }dmesg, unlike the machine that it works on.
: }
: }Also, doing a "pccardc dumpcis" reports "0 slots found". I
: }installed through the NIC, so I know it's compatible. Anyone
: }have ideas on what I've missed?

Otter-

It is hard to tell what is going on with out seeing the contents of
/var/run/dmesg.boot.  It seems that pcic isn't being attached. This
often means that the laptop BIOS has "Plug and Play OS" = YES or
"Supported OS" = Win9x/Win2k or something like that.  Another thing
to check is that with some Toshibas you can put the pcic in legacy
mode from with-in one of the various pccard wizard things...

Alternatively, some laptops put their pcic's at strange memory
locations.  It might also be helpful to see the /var/run/dmesg.boot
from a verbose boot (interrupt boot and type boot -v).

Other thing is that your rc.conf should have (or none at all)

network_interfaces="lo0"

as will confuse some of the steps in rc.network.  The pccard_ifconfig
entry should handle all that for you, regardless of the card inserted.

Also, you should almost never need pcic1 (unless your docking station
has pccard slots or you have really weird hardware: certain Digital
laptops did this).

Sean O'Connell                                       sean@stat.Duke.EDU