Date:      Sat, 22 Mar 1997 23:08:50 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>, "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: First Cut at separating tuner and capture devices

Hi,

I've done the merge of Amancio's minor-mode model of the bt848 driver,
added the changes we've discussed the last several hours, and added my
most recent extensions.  It is working with xtvremote and dtv.
It does NOT work with fxtv yet, but that should be trivial.

This model now separates the "tuner control" items into a minor device:

Create a video device:
mknod bktr0 c 79 0

Create a tuner device:
mknod tuner0 c 79 16

minor device layout:  xxxxxxxx xxxT UUUU

 UUUU:   the card (ie UNIT) identifier, 0 thru 15
 T == 0: video device
 T == 1: tuner device

Access your tuner ioctl thru your tuner device handle and anything
which controls the video capture process thru the video device handle.

Certain ioctl()s such as video source are available thru both devices.
I *think* I have preserved compatibility with olded meteor-centric
clients via a "common_ioctl()" interface.

We get the protection we wanted: you can only open 1 video device, but you can
open multiple tuner devices.  (there are probably a few bugs lurking here!)

Lets get some feedback coming in so Louie can get started on his phase...

You can grab it here:

http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/HomeAuto/files/bt848.970322.tar.gz

--
Steve Passe	| powered by