Date:      Fri, 09 Mar 2012 14:46:43 +1000
From:      Da Rock <9Phackers@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Graphical Terminal Environment

On 03/07/12 08:04, Dieter BSD wrote:
> Brandon writes:
>> (If you haven't noticed, I'm going to keep finding excuses to
>> write this as I really am kindof excited to learn/work on it)
> ideas:
>
> Display PostScript
>
> rio (from Plan 9)
>
> If you're mainly looking for a low-level graphics project,
> maybe reverse engineer something on the GPU (e.g. UVD)
Looks like I may have been a little late to the party, but I'd suggest
looking at Plan9 for ideas - this is exactly what it does. It is an OS
with "windows" capabilities builtin (unlike Windows ironically enough,
despite its dependencies), Rio itself is a WM like DWM or similar. I'd
be surprised if it didn't have a similar api structure as you have
outlined previously. For reference to access it like you would ssh on
unix you use Drawterm instead, if that gives you any indication of its
workings.

Essentially no matter which way you look at it you'll be reinventing the
wheel; but it does sound like fun! :)