Date:      Mon, 6 Jul 1998 16:01:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeremy Shaffner <jer@jorsm.com>
To:        "W.Tintemann" <113726.2410@compuserve.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD support <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Netscape Port via ftp

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, W.Tintemann wrote:

> Today I tried to get the tar-ball of the Netscape product.
> In Greg Lehey's book I find a package netscape-3.04 and packages
> navigator and communicator.
>
> I ftp-ed to ftp.FreeBsd.ORG and browsed through the pub/FreeBSD/distfiles
> dir in search for the tar-balls. I found some files which I got but
> untarring
> I find not the files which should be there according to the info in
> /usr/ports/www/netscape4 dir.
>
> Can you tell me the exact dirs/names where to find the complete product
> as the tar-balls are not on my 4th CD-ROM

You're confusing ports with packages.  Both methods of installing software
do not require you to decompress or untar anything.  If you download
the netscape port distfile, place it in /usr/ports/distfiles (Or symlink
to the CD) and type make install in the /usr/ports/www/netscapeXXX
directory.

If the /usr/ports/www/netscapeXXX dir does not exist, you must either
install the ports collection or download the netscapeXXX port source and
install it manually.  ftp to your local mirror and in the ports/www
directory, type `get netscapeXXX.tar` in binary mode.  It will tar up the
necessary files.  Untar it into /usr/ports/www/netscapeXXX and then do the
make install.

If you install it as a package (precompiled binary) just type pkg_add
package_name.tgz.  You can also install packages from /stand/sysintall.

Hope this confused..er..helped you.  :)