Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 1997 17:46:37 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        alainb@freegate.gna.org (Alain Brauner)
Subject:   Re: bin/4448: Pb with -alldirs options in /etc/exports.

As Alain Brauner wrote:

> I have a single big root fs on one scsi disk.
>
> I made an /export directory containing the root hierarchy of a
> NetBSD(SPARC) binaries and a SWAPFILE in order to install a Sun
> workstation via diskless boot.
> So i need the -alldirs and the -r option of mountd.
>
> /kernel and /etc/rc.conf are properly configured for use with NFS etc ...
>
> Here is the /etc/exports i use for this:
>
> /export		-alldirs	-root=0

Herein lies the rub.  -alldirs can only be used on the root of a
physical filesystem (/ in your case), since it implies that all
subdirectories of this filesystem should be mountable.  Export
attributes in kernel NFS are always per physical filesystem.

So if you want to restrict it to /export, you can either:

. make /export a separate physical filesystem, and use -alldirs, or

. use something like

/export /export/foo /export/bar -root=0

(Thinking about it, this looks counter-intuitive, i agree.  But just
deleting the complaint from mountd looks too risky to me either.  This
is a very security-relevant part of the NFS system.)

--
cheers, J"org