Date:      Wed,  7 Feb 2001 02:23:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael Richards" <michael@fastmail.ca>
To:        keichii@iteration.net
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stable Support for AS1200

--------------Boundary-00=_BVLDABRTZ6EOO49D7TH0

Hi.

> It is accurate info.  No SMP on FreeBSD/Alpha
There is no SMP right now. Is any SMPage planned? Especially for 5.0
whenever that comes out? I hear it's supposed to be a major overhaul
of the kernel with respect to SMP.

> I do know that Linux/Alpha does not scale very well according to
> IBM Linux Technology Center internal documents that I have read.
> i.e. For a quad 21264 system, Linux/Alpha scales to 2.9-3 / 4
> CPU's (Linux gets only 3 CPU performance out of having 4
> processors. The comparison is zeroed against a Linux 2.4 UP
> kernel.)

This co-incides with information I have read when I was working for
IBM as well. I'm not interested in running Linux. There is a very
good reason I chose to run FreeBSD on our production machines.

> Yes, if you are willing to use only one processor.

I guess I will have to take another stab at installing it. Perhaps a
non-floppy type install would be better.

> In addition, Compaq released the DECUnix CC compiler for Linux
> for free.  This makes all binaries compiled by the CCC compiler
> faster and smaller.  If you use FreeBSD/Alpha, the Compaq CC is
> in the Ports.

Does this compiler compile to native FreeBSD or native linux?

-Michael