Date:      Thu, 05 Feb 2004 14:44:04 -0600
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@DeepCore.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -CURRENT barfing on UDMA on Via 8233

--=-=-=

At 2004-02-05T20:28:47Z, S=F8ren Schmidt <sos@DeepCore.dk> writes:

> Excuse my bluntness but it sounds an awfull lot like bad behaving HW to
> me, there has been alot of changes that make certain HW fail, ACPI is one
> thin APIC is another.

I do understand your point.  On the other hand, look at the number of
groups.google.com hits for "READ_DMA TIMEOUT".  Quite a few people seem to
have suddenly developed problems with systems that'd been working fine until
recently.

> Let me rephrase, if ATA had such severe problems noone would be able to
> use it. However I'm sure there are corner cases that has problems, there
> always will be, and I'll fix them if possible.

I've always been very careful to avoid even the appearance of assigning
blame in favor of giving factual problem reports.  I understand that you
can't possibly test every hardware combination being used.  However, I do
think that the recent rash of ATA-related problems would seem to indicate
that there may be a few general issues that aren't directly related to one
exact set of hardware.

I do appreciate the work you've done, and I certainly don't want to sound
like I'm criticizing, but I've been having problems with my system and I've
just been trying to report them as accurately as possible.
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--