Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 2004 17:01:51 -0400
From:      Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Man Pages Thoughts

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:01:25 -0400
Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> wrote:

> > Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >
> > %pwd
> > /usr/src
> > %find . -name '*.[1-9]' | xargs grep 'EXAMPLES' | wc -l
> > 	493
> > %find . -name '*.[1-9]' | wc -l
> > 	2892
> >
> > So basically, you only need to fix 2399 manual pages;
> >
> > NOTES:
> >
> > 1: This counts files in contrib;
>
> Can't do that.

Yes we can.  Many times we've modified manual pages in contrib
or applied a make(1) work around.  Just it makes updates to
the code in CVS more difficult.  :(

> > 2: Some example sections would be dubious (rc.conf, make.conf, etc);
>
> Agreed.  Many daemons don't need example sections, such as ftpd, etc.
>
> This was why I recommended he point out the particular man page(s) that
> he thought needed examples.

Well, we could just say "All functions, system calls, etc. require
EXAMPLES" but that would be more work than we have time for I think.

> > 3: Personally, I honestly don't have the time for a project
> >    like this.  Sorry.
>
> Oh, come on.  You're not doing anything else important ... I'll tell you
> what ... take the time you spend chasing women around and cut it in half.
> You'll still be getting way more sex than me, and you'll have a ton of
> extra time to work on FreeBSD stuff!

Hey, you can't say that.  Consider this, last night was the first
time I talked to a "new" girl in awhile.  Gave her my phone number,
but she won't call me and I know it.  And now that I think of it,
I probably shouldn't be discussing my addictions on this list.

Besides, I'd like to see you prove that mathmatically.  :P

--
Tom Rhodes