Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 09:32:54 -0700
From:      Darren Wiebe <dkwiebe@heartland.ab.ca>
Cc:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: General thoughts and questions on FreeBSD

Greg Lehey wrote:

> [Format recovered--see http://www.lemis.com/email/email-format.html]
>
> On Friday, 19 November 1999 at 18:28:43 -0500, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> > A 'hacker' friend of mine who is quite a Unix guru and who loves Linux
> > gave FreeBSD a try recently.  These were his comments:
> >

> > I *really* dislike the kernel configuration -- enabling/disabling
> > features causes the compile to crap out in different areas, so doing
> > anything fancy becomes a time-intensive trial-and-error
> > job. Awful.
>
> This sounds like he's run into unusual problems.
>
> I've discussed this matter with Linux people before; they have some
> kind of GUI interface to kernel configuration.  I don't like that
> idea, since it requires learning Yet Another Interface, but there may
> be some advantage in having a configuration file checker.  One reason
> that we don't is because we're trying to get rid of the configuration
> file altogether.  Don't ask what we'll have instead; I don't know.
>
> > And inflexible too; I was not able to select a PCMCIA NIC and a
> > normal NIC [yeah, I was just toying around, but what if I had a
> > docking station?] without the compile crapping out.
>
> That's definitely pilot error.  He's obviously talking about a laptop
> here; maybe he didn't notice the comments about pccard support.
>
> > And the recommended FP stuff ['use GNU'] caused a kernel panic when
> > I rebooted.
>
> I don't know what he's talking about here.  First, he shouldn't need
> an FP emulator unless he's running a really old machine.  Secondly,
> the GNU FP emulator doesn't cause panics.
>
> > The docs seem more sparse for BSD --no NAG, so LPG, no SAG-- but
> > maybe I just never poked around enough.
>
> Well, I suppose we don't have them.  At any rate, I don't know what
> these TLAs mean.  But then, it's not Linux.

Network Administrators Guide and System Administrators Guide.  I don't
know what the middle one stands for.  I have not looked at them for a
long time but they came in handy when I set our network up.  I have been
thinking of modifying them so that they are applicable to FreeBSD, but I
am not sure what license they are under, I'll have to see how much spare
time I find.

> >  A lot of FreeBSD is the same as linux, of course, as linux is
> > rather heavily influenced by the BSD camp and they use many of the
> > same tools.
> >
> > I like linux better even thouhg the bsd daemon is cooler ;) Linux
> > seems more flexible and seems to be a general unix with enhancements
> > --like vim is to vi-- whereas FreeBSD is quirkly like the other
> > unixes. For some reason, linux never seemed to have many 'quirks' to
> > me [relative to other unixes that is] -- everything is
> > straightforward, and the tendency to implement both SysV and BSD
> > features means it will act however you expect it to.
>
> FWIW, I've been doing some work with RedHat Linux lately.  To use your
> friend's words,
>
>   I like FreeBSD better.  FreeBSD seems more flexible and seems to be
>   a general unix with enhancements --like vim is to vi-- whereas Linux
>   is quirkly. For some reason, FreeBSD never seemed to have many
>   'quirks' to me [relative to other unixes that is] -- everything is
>   straightforward, and it will act however you expect it to.
>
> The real answer is in the last phrase, of course: "however you expect
> it to".  Your friend is used to Linux, and he is comfortable with it.
> FreeBSD does some things differently.  That causes problems with
> FreeBSD for your friend, and problems with Linux for me.

Agreed, I started on Linux and FreeBSD seems a little bit strange when I
switched over.  However when I boot into Redhat, I have it on a seperate
600mb HD, I am lost.  It all depends what you are used to.