Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 95 03:21:59 -0500
From:      Matt Rosenberg <mar7@cec.wustl.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Multiple Adaptec 2742W's

Apparently 2.0.5 is not compatable with more than 1 Adaptec
2742W.  I can add the second device line in the kernel
configuration, and it will probe the bus for the second adaptor
correctly (it probes both correctly).  However, the kernel will
continue to probe the remaining devices and at the end of the
probing phase, right before the swap is turned on and the file
systems mounted, the system locks up.  I've tried different
IRQ's for the two adaptors.  I've also tried the same IRQ with
the conflicts keyword added in the second device line.  Same
results - the adaptor and its bus are probed correctly but the
system locks up before the file systems are mounted.  Each
adaptor has exactly one Seagate 43401N (Elite 3) drive.  The
first drive is assigned sd0 according to the messages and the
second drive sd1, just as would be expected.

BTW, although the Seagate 43401N _is_ a wide SCSI device if the
2742W is configured to "initiate wide negotiation" for the
43401N, FreeBSD 2.0.5 will not probe the device correctly.  It
doesn't make a difference to DOS whether that flag is turned
on.
Matt Rosenberg
Washington University School of Law
St. Louis, MO, USA