Date:      Wed, 01 Nov 1995 13:34:46 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.org>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   [Fwd: Help, my sanity is gradually slipping awaaaayyy. was Re: Problem With Fujitsu SCSI Drive (Messages and Test Results)]

-----------------------------140730798114994776041470031863

I feel kinda sorry for this guy.. :-)
--
						Jordan

-----------------------------140730798114994776041470031863

From: phil@zipmail.co.uk (Phil Taylor)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 23:12:17 GMT

phil@zipmail.co.uk (Phil Taylor) wrote:

>>I am trying to set up FBSD 2.0.5R on a system with an Adaptec AHA1542B
>>and a Fujitsu M2694ESA 1GB SCSI-2 Drive.

>>It isn't working ......

>Still.......

ditto

>The messages I get are as follows :

>sd0(aha0:0:0): HARDWARE FAILURE asc: 44,a2, FAILURE
>sd0(aha0:0:0): HARDWARE FAILURE asc: 44,a2, Retries = x
>sd0(aha0:0:0): HARDWARE FAILURE info: 2d18 asc 15,1 Mechanical
>positioning error sks(80,f)
>sd0(aha0:0:0): HARDWARE FAILURE info: 1d70 asc 15,1 Mechanical
>positioning error sks(80,f)
>vm_page : pager input (probably hardware) error, PID 11 failure

Thanks to Julian Elischer I now know that major number 44 is internal
target failure, but even fujitsu couldn't tell me what minor a2 means.
(They have the book somewhere but couldn't find it 8:()

However the Fujitsu engineer I spoke to said that it was (in his
opinion) very unlikely to be a problem with the drive and more likely
to be a mapping/translation problem.

Since last night, it seems a very long way away now. I have tried
various things. Here are the results.

The hardware config is exactly the same for all OS's and I low-level
formatted it every now and again and sometimes created a small dos
partition.

I have tried the following bios geometries.

Cyl	Hd	Sect
1024 x	64   x  32
1034 x  64   x  32
1819 x  15   x  72 (The drives physical paramaters)
and quite a few smaller ones (300 x 10 x 50 etc)

I also accasionally used a 1542CF and attempted to use a Seagate ST-02
and a WD7000 (but the wd isn't in generic !!)

By the way why does the ST02 floppy controller boot a 144 dos boot
disk but not a FBSD boot disk (it reboots the machine).

Anyway back to the plot.

First I installed Novell 3.12 on the drive. It worked like a dream, I
connected into it from another machine and was shooting around 50MB
files with ease.
				NO DRIVE ERRORS

Tried FBSD 2.0.5R a few times with various settings etc.
				DRIVE ERRORS

I then thought what about another UN*X, I installed SCO 3.2v4.2 8-( It
installed seemlessly (for a change) and I could not make it error even
by repeatedly turning it off while copying multi 50MB files between
filesystems. Each time fsck just sorted out and I got a prompt...
				NO DRIVE ERRORS

Tried FBSD 2.0.5R a few times with various settings etc.
				DRIVE ERRORS

Right, what about that MCC Linux v1.0 dist on my fileserver, I
installed that (eventually) and up it came, copied 50MB files between
filesystems, turned it off, let it fill up /usr by growing a file by
piping it, and guess what,
				NO DRIVE ERRORS

Brainwave, what about that 2.0R CDROM, lets give that a try. Managed
to navigate fdisk/disklabel (you've made it too easy since then 8-))
and remembered that my old 1x mitsumi doesn't quite work with 2.0R so
copied everything to a DOS partition, Worked fine (or so i thought)
after a couple of re-boots I manually ran fsck and got a new message,

sd0(aha:0:0:0) non-media hardware failure info = 266544 (decimal)

Well they do say a change is as good as a rest 8-)

Having now spent two days on this (> 13 hours today !!) If this were
for a customer I would have scrapped the drive long ago (I wouldn't be
able to justify the labour charges !), but it is for ME and I am
dammed if I am going to let the thing beat me......(calming down) then
again I might just retire and take up fishing !

If anyone but anyone has seen this, or used this configuration
successfully PLEASE let me know. I don't understand why every other OS
other than FBSD works... I might give NetBSD a try as it is about the
only one I haven't (or at least it seems like it).

Every other machine that I have running FBSD works perfectly so what
is the difference ??????

As I am now babbling incoherantly I shall go........

Phil

-----------------------------140730798114994776041470031863--