Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 1998 03:11:05 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        scanner@apricot.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lockups on machine with NFS writes to itself..

>> >Apr 27 12:49:19 kamidake /kernel: Out of mbuf clusters - increase maxusers!
>
>>    In your case, maxusers probably isn't the best solution. Instead, add
>> this to your kernel config file:
>>
>> options "NMBCLUSTERS=2000"
>
>Hm, after doing this and trying my test case (make an ISO image
>via mkisofs that will result in a 608mb image file) it still locks up.
>(there is a brief period of disk activity.)  The out of mbufs message
>will not appear for a while yet.
>
>It is curious that this seems to only happen with NFS partitions
>mounted on the same machine. Although the machine is locked up
>(all my prompts have stopped responding) it still responds to
>pings with no delay at all.

   Ah, I missed this last part in your original message. I think you're
experiancing one of the bugs in the NFS code - I recall seeing this
when mounting client/server on the same machine and using NQNFS. If it
only happens when you mount the server on itself, then I'd recommend
not doing that. :-)

-DG

David Greenman