Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 95 16:57:04 CDT
From:      laufen@sol.med.ge.com (Derek Laufenberg  x7-4534)
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@freefall.cdrom.com, chuckr@Glue.umd.edu
Subject:   Re: PPP

> From>
> I'm going to set up PPP for the first time.  I haven't paid a great deal
> of attention to all the discussion of PPP, but I think there was
> something about user-mode PPP versus kernel mode?  It's not mentioned at
> all on the ppp.FAQ.  Question is, do I need to compile a kernel with the
> pseudo-device ppp ?
>
> ----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------
> Chuck Robey                 | Interests include any kind of voice or data
> chuckr@eng.umd.edu          | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
> 9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |
> Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 (Freebsd 2.0R) and n3lxx
> (301) 220-2114              | (FreeBSD 2.0.5-snap) and am I happy!

For user mode, no. The tun0 device is used.  If you will be using
kernel mode (pppd) then you will need the pseudo-device.

User mode is very good.  I suggest you try it first.
I've played with it in interactive mode with a fair degree of luck.
I still need to study of the automatic modes work.

Derek Laufenberg
laufen@sol.med.ge.com