Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 08:07:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tam Weng Seng <tam@sabine.cs.tcu.edu>
To:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slow Etherlink

Hi folks,
	I have followed this thread for a while now, and I just thought
that I would share my observation of my 3Com 509(b?) Card. I had put this
card in a 486/33 Mhz, and it is now in a 586-133 Mhz (I forgot who made
these chips), and in both cases I was able to make transfers of up to 100
Kb/s. What is even stranger is the fact that I was running this under
FreeBSD 2.1.0-release (and later current of that period).
	Subsequently, although I know very little about hardware. I find
it hard to understand how the card would work, if the card was
misconfigured. I say this because I have always done ftp installs, and
because the interupt that my 3 Com card is using is not the default one
the kernel expects (Some silly conflict). This means that if I should
forget to tell the kernel about it with the -c flag, that the probes will
not even find the card. Or maybe I did something else, that is equally
dumb.
	Furthermore, I do not think that it is PnP that is causing his
problems  either. When my card was put in PnP mode by Win95 (no flames
please, I use it to learn how to use the visual compilers), FreeBSD
seemed to be unable to use the card.  On the other hand, with PnP disabled,
it worked a charm. :) Ftp'ing the entire OS from FreeFall, even though
we go through the "friendly" SprintLink, still managed transfers between
50-80 KB/s. So I  think something else is wrong. Maybe operator error ;).
Cause it seems to work very well for me. I guess I will find out when I
get a another HDD soon, as I plan to play with Linux, as well as FreeBSD
on the 586, with  the 3Com card. What do you guys think would be a good
benchmark ;) ???
	In conclusion, how do you get transfer > 1000 KB/s ??? I have
never seen anything over 150 KB/s. Although, I have to admit that do not
connect to sites that are on the same ethernet segment, and that all the
dormitories (I think), goes trough a Cisco router (don't know the model).
Otherwise, I just want to say a big thank you to all the developers for
bring me a wanderful learning tool. :)

| Tam Weng Seng | May the source be with you | Tan Yongcheng |